E-mails asked me to go over the Oscar nominations.
Okay. The Oscars are a joke this year. Here's BAFTA nominees for Best Actress:
|EMMANUELLE RIVA - Amour|
|HELEN MIRREN - Hitchcock|
|JENNIFER LAWRENCE - Silver Linings Playbook|
|JESSICA CHASTAIN - Zero Dark Thirty|
|MARION COTILLARD - Rust and Bone|
Now here's the Oscars.
Quvenzhane Wallis has no business being nominated.
It's an insult. This is a child less than 10-years-old and she got nominated for Best Actress. Well, good God, let's hope she didn't peak at the age of 9.
That's just an insult. When do we see it with males? When do we see a Tatum O'Neal or a Quvenzhane Wallis male nominated?
We don't really and the reason is because actors are taken a lot more seriously.
Just by including a 9-year-old girl, they made that entire category a joke. That's the Oscars. You don't catch BAFTA nominating 9 year olds.
Let's look at Best Actor. Here's BAFTA:
|BEN AFFLECK - Argo|
|BRADLEY COOPER - Silver Linings Playbook|
|DANIEL DAY-LEWIS - Lincoln|
|HUGH JACKMAN - Les Misérables|
|JOAQUIN PHOENIX - The Master|
The omission of Ben Affleck is just appalling. I can't get over that. I would have left Bradley Cooper and Joaquin Phoenix both off the list. Denzel had to be on the list. Had to be?
For a lot of Black people, Jaime Foxx disgraced himself. Not just for the perceived racism but for showing his nuts (nudity) in a scene that ridicules Black people (he's strung up naked) and wasn't necessary. So this was sort of a message: We'll stand with Denzel, we're not standing with Foxx. Nudity on top of everything else? And humiliating nudity? Foxx might want to try to get back on TV -- if they'll have him.
Let's go to Best Supporting Actor:
Back to top
|ALAN ARKIN - Argo|
|CHRISTOPH WALTZ - Django Unchained|
|JAVIER BARDEM - Skyfall|
|PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN - The Master|
|TOMMY LEE JONES - Lincoln|
- Alan Arkin Argo View Trailer / More Information
- Robert De Niro Silver Linings Playbook View Trailer / More Information
- Philip Seymour Hoffman The Master View Trailer / More Information
- Tommy Lee Jones Lincoln View Trailer / More Information
- Christoph Waltz Django Unchained View Trailer / More Information
That's more or less the same. Best supporting actress? BAFTA?
Back to top
|AMY ADAMS - The Master|
|ANNE HATHAWAY - Les Misérables|
|HELEN HUNT - The Sessions|
|JUDI DENCH - Skyfall|
|SALLY FIELD - Lincoln|
- Amy Adams The Master View Trailer / More Information
- Sally Field Lincoln View Trailer / More Information
- Anne Hathaway Les Misérables View Trailer / More Information
- Helen Hunt The Sessions View Trailer / More Information
- Jacki Weaver Silver Linings Playbook View Trailer / More Information
Again, pretty much the same. I like Anne Hathway but I wouldn't have nominated her. I think she's all over the map in the movie and inconsistent. I like her. I usually praise her. But that roe, to me, was beyond her gifts. Sorry.
So we'll do Director and wrap up. BAFTA
|AMOUR - Michael Haneke|
|ARGO - Ben Affleck|
|DJANGO UNCHAINED - Quentin Tarantino|
|LIFE OF PI - Ang Lee|
|ZERO DARK THIRTY - Kathryn Bigelow|
- Amour Michael Haneke View Trailer / More Information
- Beasts of the Southern Wild Benh Zeitlin View Trailer / More Information
- Life of Pi Ang Lee View Trailer / More Information
- Lincoln Steven Spielberg View Trailer / More Information
- Silver Linings Playbook David O. Russell View Trailer / More Information
Again, Oscars ignored Affleck, I think BAFTA did a better job. In fact, I'd even be fine with Tarantino being nominated if those were our nominees in the Oscars. Instead, we have the dead on arrival Lincoln (Sally Field's the only one who brought life to that awful, racist film -- if she wins the Oscar, I'll applaud).
I don't see any reason to watch. That's one of the main problems with the Oscars. Bigelow nominated? I doubt she'd win but I'd stay around to find out.
As it is, I'll watch the first major award and that's it (Best Supporting Actress). Helen Hunt and Sally Field both did great jobs and I hope one of them wins.
I don't give a damn.
I thought the whole point of expanding, for example, Best Picture was to try to get the audience (TV) watching the presentation. But there's really no reason to watch the telecast.
If there's one you're interested in, a category, feel free to e-mail me or leave it in the comments. But for me, it's just not doing it.
Going out with C.I.'s "Iraq snapshot:"